This qualification combines the gym instructor and personal trainer qualifications and has been designed to provide learners with the requisite knowledge, understanding and skills to work unsupervised as a personal trainer with healthy adults of all ages.
There are no specific pre-requisite qualifications but some experience of gym-based exercises, including free weights, is highly recommended. The course requires physical exertion and individual participation is essential; therefore, a degree of physical fitness is necessary.
There is also an element of communication (discussing, presenting, reading and writing) involved and learners should have basic skills in communication pitched at Level 2.
- Anatomy and physiology for exercise and health
- Know how to support clients who take part in exercise and physical activity
- Health, safety and welfare in a fitness environment
- Principles of exercise, fitness and health
- Planning gym based exercise
- Instructing gym based exercise
- Applying the principles of nutrition to a physical activity programme
- Programming personal training sessions
- Delivering personal training sessions
- Multi choice theory papers
- Client interviews
- Programme card
- Programme planning
- Case study
- Formative and summative observed assessment
- Session self-evaluations
This qualification is recognised as an approved qualification for entry on to the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs) as a Level 3 Personal trainer and as a Professional member of CIMPSA. Learners who successfully complete this programme will be equipped to work as personal trainers in a variety of contexts throughout the sport and active leisure industry.
The Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training provides progression opportunities to the following qualifications:
- Level 3 Diploma in Exercise Referral
- Level 3 Certificate in Advanced Exercise to Music
- Level 3 Diploma in Mat Pilates
- Level 3 Award in Adapting Physical Activity for Older Adults
- Level 3 Award in Adapting Physical Activity for Disabled Clients
- Level 3 Award in Adapting Physical Activity for Antenatal and Postnatal Clients
- Level 3 Award in Sport Specific Conditioning
Assessment: 12 Week program, Worksheets and observed assessment