The Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing (Gym-based Exercise) has been designed to provide learners with the requisite knowledge, understanding and skills to work unsupervised as a gym-based fitness instructor with healthy adults of all ages. It is ideally suited to individuals who currently work as a fitness instructor but have no formal fitness qualification, individuals seeking a career change who require a recognised qualification, and exercise and fitness enthusiasts aiming to become fitness instructors.
In this qualification learners will develop their knowledge and understanding of the theory underpinning gym-based exercise, including anatomy and physiology, principles of exercise and fitness, how to support clients, and health and safety. It will also develop the skills and techniques to plan and instruct gym-based exercise.
There are no entry requirements for entry onto this qualification. However, as this is a practical based course a level of general fitness and willingness to participate practically is essential. There is also an element of communication (discussion, presenting, instructing, reading and writing) involved and learners should have a basic skills in communication pitched at Level 2.
- Anatomy and physiology for exercise
- Know how to support clients who take part in exercise and physical activity
- Health, safety and welfare in a fitness environment
- Principles of exercise, health and fitness
- Planning gym-based exercise
- Instructing gym-based exercise
- Externally set multiple choice question papers
- Client interview
- Session plans
- Programme cards
- Formative observed practical sessions
- Summative observed practical sessions
This qualification is recognised as an approved qualification for entry on to the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs) as a Level 2 Fitness Instructor (Gym-based Exercise) and as an affiliate member of CIMPSA. Learners who successfully complete this programme will be equipped to work as a gym-based fitness instructor in a variety of contexts throughout the sport and active leisure industry.
The Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing (Gym-based Exercise) provides progression opportunities to the following qualifications:
- Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training
- Level 3 Diploma in Mat Pilates
- Level 3 Award in Adapting Physical Activity for Older Adults
- Level 3 Award in Adapting Physical Activity for Disabled Clients
- Level 3 Award in Adapting Physical Activity for Antenatal and Postnatal Clients
- Level 3 Award in Sport Specific Conditioning
Upcoming training course dates/locations.
15th September 2018 - 24th November 2018
10:30 am - 3:30 pm
Sound Mind and Body
The Exchange, Front St
Newcastle upon Tyne